SPECIAL ADMISSIONS – OPEN
COHORT – not available at this time
DUAL CREDIT ENRICHMENT – CLOSED
- STEP 1: REGISTER online (see above)
- STEP 2: REGISTRATION PACKAGE
- STEP 3: COURSE SELECTION FORM
- (Official VIU COURSE LIST)
- *Student must state a specific career goal and show how that the dual credit course(s) are required for and listed on the VIU Program Outline. Students that are transferring to another university must also use the BCTRANSFER GUIDE to show that the course will transfer.
2017-18 Dual Credit Programs
Students interested in Dual Credit Enrichment, Special Admissions and Cohorts must complete and submit the Dual Credit Pre-Application package! The pre-registration package must be submitted to the CTC office, Attn: Dual Credit Coordinator. Call 250-740-2090 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: Dual Credit) to make pick-up arrangements at your school.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. All applicants will be contacted about the application status.
Information about Dual Credit “ENRICHMENT”, “COHORT”, or “SPECIAL ADMISSIONS”:
- 1. To be considered, a student MUST be attending both district high school courses and VIU courses (students can NOT be registered in dual credit courses only).
2. To be considered, a student MUST be school age (18 years old as of July 1st of the school year that they will be attending VIU courses) and a non-graduate.
3. Dual credit students will earn both high school (grade 12 elective) and university credit.
4. Dual Credit Enrichment students can apply to take up to 2 courses, per semester, and maximum of 4 courses, if they meet the 3A’s + 1B criteria, and must meet VIU course requirements (enrichment, cohort, special admissions)
5. Grades from the following academic courses will be reviewed: English 10/11, Math 10/11, SS 10/11, Sc10/11. Other courses may be reviewed if it is applicable to the VIU course prerequisites.
6. If the number of applications received (dual credit enrichment/cohort) exceeds available seats then applications will be selected, in this order:
- a. GPA (calculated using grade 11/12 academic courses)
- b. Recommendation of counselor and/or teachers
- c. Date received
7. Special admission/cohort applicants can apply to take one course, per semester, if they do NOT meet the 3A’s + 1B criteria but do meet VIU entrance requirements and course prerequisite.
* VIU admission requirements is a min. “C” grade in English 12
* VIU courses may have prerequisite requirements
8. The pre-registration package includes a payment for the VIU application fee ($38.55). This payment will only be processed for Approved Packages. Arrangements must be made to return payment, call 250-740-2090.
- 9. The tuition is paid for by the school district but students are responsible for the application fee, student fees, student activity fee, materials, and textbooks costs.
- 10. International students can apply for the cohort courses only. There is a cost of $900 because the Ministry of Education does not fund Post Secondary courses for International Students. This payment is requested after a student is approved.
Dual Credit registration is open to grade 11 students! This program allows grade 12 students to attend VIU. Grade 11 students are able to apply for VIU courses before regular registration opens! This exciting opportunity is available to our top academic students. To qualify you must have at least 3A’s and 1B in academic courses (English 10/11, Math 10/11, SS 10/11, Sc10/11). Students can enroll in up to two courses per semester and four courses per year. It is important to discuss this option with your counselor and parents.
Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools contracts some VIU courses so that the courses are offered outside of regular high school class time and during high school semesters/holidays. School district staff approves student applications. The courses will be located on the VIU campus.
SPECIAL ADMISSION COURSES
Students at any time of the year can take a course as long as they meet VIU entrance requirements and course prerequisites. Students submit this package with a letter of permission from the school principal and need to contact the VIU instructor directly (email) to request a seat in the class. This email communication must be printed and attached the application form. Special admission students will meet with the coordinator after the application package is submitted.
For more information, visit these links: