The program base of topics cover the Level 1 carpentry apprenticeship technical training and its major focus is to better prepare students for employment as carpentry apprentices in the building industry.
Strong ties with the Canadian Home Builders Association-Nanaimo, City of Nanaimo building officials, and many other builders, sub-trades and suppliers, have helped create a close cooperative training partnership with Nanaimo’s local building industry.
This full-time program is built upon the program outline developed collaboratively by industry and VIU, and follows the BC Provincial Apprenticeship Level 1 program competencies. The program focuses on basic carpentry skills and framing. The curriculum seeks an effective balance between hands-on learning activities supported with specific academic and theoretical frameworks.
- Grade 12, or equivalent, or mature student status.
- Minimum 17 years of age.
- Successful completion of assessment testing.
- Personal profile.
- Interview may be required.
- For more information click here: Carpentry
The program framework includes:
- Residential Construction Career Exploration
- Construction Math
- Safe Work Practices
- Drawings and Specifications
- Materials Identification
- Hand Tools
- Portable Power Tools
- Stationary Tools
- Survey Instruments
- Concrete Form Work
- Residential House Framing
- Windows and Doors
- Residential Building Renovations
- Building Science
- Shop Skills
- Work Experience
Important Deadlines / DatesThere are no upcoming events at this time.
- No essential documents are required at this time youth-train-in-trades